Saturday, March 21, 2009

Argument-Part 6

In the case of the Boy Scouts of America v. Dale, I believe that the judges made the right decision in favor of the Boys Scouts. I agree that such an organization as the Boy Scouts of America have set a rule from the beginning of its inception to instill values in the youth. Even if homosexuality is somewhat acceptable now than it used to be, I believe that if a rule or “mission statement” was made that they should be allowed to follow it and make no exceptions. I have nothing against homosexuals, in fact, I have several gay friends. It's not for me to judge them because they are great people, whether or not they were gay. It is their choice to live that lifestyle, but I believe that the Boy Scouts of America has a right to do as they wish. I guess you can say I'm an old fashion guy and still believe in morals. According to the Scout Oath and Law, it states…

"Scout Oath
On my honor I will do my bestTo do my duty to God and my countryand to obey the Scout Law;To help other people at all times;To keep myself physically strong,mentally awake, and morally straight.”

Scout Law
Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent"

(http://www.scouting.org/media/mission.aspx)

“The values the Boy Scouts seeks to instill are "based on" those listed in the Scout Oath and Law. The Boy Scouts explains that the Scout Oath and Law provide "a positive moral code for living; they are a list of 'do's' rather than 'don'ts.'" The Boy Scouts asserts that homosexual conduct is inconsistent with the values embodied in the Scout Oath and Law, particularly with the values represented by the terms "morally straight" and "clean."” (http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/conlaw/boyscouts.html)

No comments:

Post a Comment