Saturday, January 17, 2009

What Do I Think of Lawyers?

I think of lawyers as being both good and bad. But then again, I suppose it just depends what side of the fence you're on. I’ve seen them in action on both sides of the spectrum. I’ve personally dealt with lawyers when my parents divorced, when I was a witness to a crime, and the time I took my ex to court for child visitations. I did not have any problems with the divorce and family lawyers, since it dealt more of the best interest of the children involved and rectifying the situation in a civil manner. I hate to stereotype, but the criminal lawyers I have come across were very keniving, a bit sneaky, cold-hearted, with some sort of agenda. They wanted to know all of my business-always asking questions that seemed irrelevant. You’d be surprised in the things they will do to try and get information from you. It's like the stuff you see in the movies.

There are many lawyers who really want to help you and there are those who just want your money. I really don’t like those types of greedy lawyers. I also hate the fact that they charge you up the ying-yang for every single thing-from the copying of documents, to calling them up just to ask a question, etc. It’s ridiculous! I recall retaining a lawyer and he charged me $250 per hour. Ouch! I have to say he was a great lawyer, but it hurt my pocket dearly. I can honestly say he was worth every penny. I can go on rambling about how I don’t like this, or I don’t like that.

In all, lawyers can work against you or for you. What matters is, is the fact that they get the job done the first time around. I’ve seen people jump from one lawyer to the next. It’s just one of those things where you can’t live with them and you can’t live without them. As much as we loathe lawyers, we really need them.

2 comments:

  1. I do agree with you that lawyers can be good or bad, depending on which side you are on. For example, if you were a bad guy, of course you would want to be seen as innocent. The lawyer working for her/him will try and do their best to defend them while you are the “good guy” on the other end. If the other person won, you would definitely be screwed. I also agree with you on the part where you had mentioned that if it dealt with children, it should always be on the best interest of them and the parents should not be a major factor in the case. Lawyers can be sneaky and conniving, but what can you do? They are in fact doing their job, and to get the best lawyer there is, you’re looking at coughing up tons of money (depending on what you did exactly). Overall, I agree with your opinions on lawyers and you have posted a great blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s nice to hear that you have had a good experience with a lawyer. My experiences have also been very similar, good for the most part. Sorry to hear that your experience had to do with such a sensitive subject. Most lawyers do charge a high premium for their services, but I guess that comes with the overhead. Maybe their education, nice office, connection to the judges may have a lot to contribute to the premium they charge. I think maybe some lawyers that don’t charge a lot don’t have as plentiful resources to burn. But then again that could be just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete