Saturday, January 31, 2009

Opinion of Grand Theft Auto Lawsuit

When I was younger, I had a Nintendo and Sega system. Eventually, I grew out of it. Rarely do I ever play video games anymore. As a grown up, I’ve never really had the interest in purchasing one. I think they’re great, especially with all the detailed graphics and types of games available. I wish I did own a Wii or Play Station, but I really don’t have the time play. I never realized that the games now are so realistic and mimic things that happen daily in today’s society. I’m familiar with the “Grand Theft Auto” series, but never knew that it came out with a version that showed sexual content.
After reading the article regarding lawsuit involving the video game “Grand Theft Auto”, I think I would side with the game company that was sued. I don’t think Rock Star Games and their parent company, Take Two Interactive Software, really did anything wrong with creating the game since they clearly labeled it “M” for mature, for players 17 or older. The grandmother, who sued the company because of the sexually explicit content, should be at fault for purchasing the game for her 14 year old grandson. Why did she give her grandson the game when she knew that it was meant for a mature audience? Isn’t that common sense? Apparently the grandmother knew the nature of the game and should have never purchased it if it was intended for a minor to use. It’s upsetting to me because all of this would have been avoided if she did research or asked someone at the store she bought the game at for more information about it before purchasing it. I’m assuming she did not read the label that was on the game before she purchased it. And even if she did, she should have seen it coming. I believe the grandmother could have made a better decision as an adult. As a parent, I would have never allowed it in the first place. That’s my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment